Skip to main content
Home » Eye Care Services in Garden Grove, CA » Emergency Eye Care Services

Emergency Eye Care Services

Treatment for Eye Injuries and Infections in Garden Grove

hands holding people Garden Grove Optometrist, CA eye doctor

Garden Grove Optometry offers emergency services. Dr. Inman and Dr. Gaylord offer emergency services that require immediate and urgent eye care. If your eye is injured, don’t try to judge the severity of it. Immediately seek the opinion of an eye doctor to lessen the risk of hurting your vision. We understand ocular emergencies can arise at any time.

Please call our Garden Grove, CA office: 714-500-7577 for further instructions.


Call Us! 714-500-7577


Symptoms that require emergency service include, but are not limited to:

  • Sudden loss of vision
  • Sudden double vision
  • Sudden red/painful eye
  • Pink Eye
  • New onset flashes and/or floaters

Things NOT to do while waiting for professional medical assistance:

  • DO NOT press on an injured eye or allow the victim to rub the eye(s).
  • DO NOT attempt to remove a foreign body that is resting on the cornea (the clear surface of the eye through which we see) or that appears to be embedded in any part of the eye.
  • DO NOT use dry cotton (including cotton swabs) or sharp instruments (such as tweezers) on the eye.
  • DO NOT attempt to remove an embedded object.

DO call our office at 714-500-7577 for further instructions! We are here for you!

Dr. Inman Answers YOUR Eye Emergency Questions


My child scratched my eye...what should I do?

If you feel pain or a feeling like something is in your eye, you should visit your local eye doctor to take a look at it immediately to determine the best treatment. If you're in the Garden Grove area, you can call our eye clinic for fast treatment. If you happen to have artificial teardrops, you can use those in the eye every 20 minutes or so until you get to our office.

Is a scratch on the eye dangerous?

A scratch on your cornea (the outer clear part of the eye that covers the colored iris part) can be dangerous because it may become infected and can lead to scarring which may cause reduced vision or blindness. This type of injury can also lead to another condition called “recurrent erosions” where the cornea has continued episodes of pain, light sensitivity, watering and possible scarring that become a chronic or lifetime problem.


I got hit in the eye with a baseball, is that dangerous for my vision?

Yes, being hit in the eye with any kind of object can be dangerous and you should seek the care of your local eye doctor immediately.

Should I visit an eye doctor if I got a black eye?

Yes, a black eye needs to be properly evaluated to rule out things like a corneal abrasion, inflammation inside of the eye, and possible damage to the back part of your eye, the retina. An eye exam is strongly recommended.

I have pain in my eye after getting a black eye, should I visit the emergency room or an eye doctor?

At Garden Grove Optometry, we recommend that you see an eye doctor. Your optometrist has the unique equipment and expertise in dealing with injuries to the eye that the emergency room does not have. In fact, for eye emergencies that do not require immediate surgery, most emergency rooms will refer you back to an optometrist anyway.


My toddler is complaining that his eye hurts, should I make an appointment with the optometrist?

Yes, children often have trouble voicing or understanding what is going on with their eyes and vision. It is always worth an exam by your optometrist to see what’s going on. Furthermore, most eye problems would not be visible to the parent, so there may be a tendency to ignore a child’s complaint since they are not experiencing it themselves.

My child came home from school saying that his eye hurts, what should I do?

Try to figure out it which eye it is and when it started. Was it related to any certain activity? Does it feel any better or worse since it started? Try not to put words in their mouths and remain calm when asking these questions to your child so they don’t panic and can answer your questions more accurately. Then, take this information with you to see your optometrist.

My child’s eye looks very red, what should I do?

Red eyes can mean very many different things and can present in many different degrees of severity. A pinkish tint to an eye that occurs right after swimming, may just need some artificial tears or lubricating drops. However, if this condition continues to be a problem or gets worse, it could be more serious and needs to be attended to.  A very red eye, especially with any mucous or watery discharge needs to be seen to immediately. Also, any kind of pink or red eye that has an unknown cause should be looked at by your optometrist.

My child has a weird bump in his eye, should I make an appointment?

There are a lot of different kinds of bumps on children’s eyes. The most common ones are on the lids and may be called “styes” or “chalazions” It is extremely important that these are treated properly and immediately for the best outcome. It is worth a visit to your Garden Grove optometrist to make sure this is the correct diagnosis and to determine the best treatment.

Severe Emergencies

I just lost my vision in one eye, what should I do?

A complete and sudden loss of vision in one eye is a serious eye emergency and needs medical attention immediately.  It is best to call your eye doctor’s office and discuss your symptoms.

My eye is bleeding what should I do?

If the eye is bleeding due to an injury, it needs to be treated immediately. If it is just a little red spot on the white part of your eye (the sclera) you can see the eye doctor the next day.

I am seeing double, should I go to the eye doctor?

Double vision has many different meanings to people. Often people will say they are having double vision when they really mean “blurred” vision, not actually two images of a single object. You should note when this first occurred and if it is constant or intermittent. One of the most helpful things to do is figure out if its double with the right eye, left eye or both? You can do this by simply covering one eye with your hand, note the effect, and repeat with the other eye.  This can be very useful in figuring out the possible causes and how urgent the patient needs to be seen. Regardless, make an appointment ASAP with your local Garden Grove eye doctor.

All SUDDEN loss of vision, or double vision (diplopia), needs immediate attention and the advice of your eye doctor or physician.

I have severe pain in my eye, what do I do?

Severe eye pain is an emergency and needs to be seen by your local eye doctor immediately.

I feel a lot of pressure behind my eye, what should I do?

Pressure, vs pain, can be caused by a number of serious conditions. You should be evaluated by your eye doctor in Garden Grove (if you're in town) as soon as possible to assess the issue.

Click here to learn more about our Advanced Technology at Garden Grove Optometrist in CA

Also ask us about Lasik co-management at our Garden Grove eye care clinic.

  • Did you know your optometrist can help you with red eyes, pink eye, sore eyes, foreign body removal and eye emergencies?
  • When we get hurt, it can sometimes be easy to brush it off. “It'll be alright to wait until tomorrow,” or “I can handle it myself.” Unfortunately, many times we're wrong. Immediate professional attention is required.